Hippodrome, Bo'ness

Name(s)Hippodrome
TownBo'ness
AddressHope Street
Year Opened1912
Buildingpurpose-built
Capacity700
TypeCine-variety
InfoOldest surviving purpose-built cinema in Scotland. It was opened in March 1912 by Louis Dickson, who had been operating a film show in the Drill Hall. The impressive A-listed building, designed by Matthew Steele, features a round auditorium, small stage and balcony. It operated as a cinema until the 1970s, then became a bingo, was derelict for a while, but now operates as a cinema again and hosts the annual Bo\'ness Festival of Silent Film.
Linkhttp://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotland/boness.html
SourceThe Bioscope 31.08.11, The Bioscope 09.04.14