Town Hall, Kirkintilloch

Name(s)Town Hall
TownKirkintilloch
AddressUnion Street
Year Opened1911
Buildinghall
Capacity1200
TypeVariety and films
InfoA classical sandstone building with Baroque features, the hall was paid for by public subscription and opened with a civic ceremony in July 1906. Rented to touring companies staging concerts and theatre performances, as well as for local events of clubs and societies. A cinematograph was installed in 1914 after a proposal from Independent Labour Party councilor Thomas Johnston, who then lead a sub-committee to turn the Town Hall into a cinema run by the Council. The Municipal Pictures operated between November 1914 and April 1923, with all profits going to the Town\'s Common Good fund.
Link
SourceThe Bioscope 23.02.11, The Bioscope 11.04.12, Bioscope Annual 1915, http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/ref_no/1295

Topics

Kirkintilloch

People

Thomas Johnston

Trade Press Articles

Away Up North

Company

OK Pictures