North Star, Lerwick

Name(s)North Star
TownLerwick
AddressHarbour Street
Year Opened1913
Buildingpurpose-built
Capacity700
TypeFilm only
InfoIn 1913, plans were announced for a purpose-built cinema on Harbour Street, in the centre of Lerwick. The initiative was promoted by the North Star Cinema Company, which had its registered offices in Aberdeen, where the managing director, James Jeffrey, was an accountant. However, the capital of 3000 was substantially raised from Lerwick merchants: Gilbert Anderson, T.J. Anderson and R.D. Ganson are named. The new building, the North Star Cinema, opened on 24 September, 1913. There were 500 cushioned seats downstairs, and 200 tip-up plush chairs in the gallery. Electricity was provided by an 8hp Kelvin petrol dynamo. The North Star was the most northerly cinema in Britain. It continued to operate as a cinema till 1972, when it became a nightclub, and the building was finally demolished in 2011. Photos of the demolition and of a community memories photography project here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Star-Project/118015368294994 A 1915 letterbook for the North Star is at the Shetland Archives, GB242/D.1/92
Linkhttp://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotland/lerwick/index.html
SourceBio 08.05.13, Bioscope Annual 1915, The Bioscope 18.06.14


Topics

Cinema in small towns
Lerwick

People

W. Arthur Mann
John A Jeffrey

Cinema Adverts

Cinema Advert [229]

Company

North Star Cinema Company (Ltd) Lerwick