George Urie Scott
Born in Glasgow, 1881. Showed films in halls from around 1902; one of his projectors is kept at the Glasgow Museums collections. In 1909 he established his first permanent show at the Annfield Halls on Glasgow's Gallowgate. He continued to visit other Scottish towns and gradually established a circuit of permanent cinemas. These were very popular venues with low admission prices, and special concessions to children. In April 1920 a company was floated to acquire his seven theatres. After that, Scott focused on his work in the cinema construction business, also expanding into dance halls and hotels.